Skip to content ↓
All Saints' Church of England Primary School

All Saints' C of E Primary School

SEND Support

Who can I talk to about my child’s learning / SEND needs?

Class Teacher 

Responsible For:

  • Checking on the progress of your child and identifying, planning and delivering any additional help your child may need (this could be things like targeted work, additional support) and liaising with the Special educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCo) as necessary.
  • Writing SEN Support Plans (SSP), and reviewing these with parents at least once each term before jointly planning for the next term.
  • Ensuring that staff working with your child are delivering the planned work/programme, so they can achieve the best possible progress. This may involve the use of additional adults, outside specialist help and individually planned work and resources.
  • Ensuring that the School’s SEND Policy is followed in their classroom and for all the pupils they teach with any special educational needs or disabilities (SEND).

Special educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCo) 

Abi Wilkinson is All Saints' Special Educational Needs (SEN) Co-ordinator (SENCo) To make an appointment with her, call the main office number and Denny Piper can arrange this.

Responsible For:

  • Coordinating all the support for children with SEND and developing the School’s SEN Policy to make sure all children get a consistent, high quality response to meeting their needs in school.
  • Ensuring that you are:

    –      involved in supporting your child’s learning

    –      kept informed about the support your child is getting

    –      involved in reviewing how they are doing

  • Liaising with professionals who come into school to help support your child e.g. Speech and Language Therapy, Educational Psychology etc…
  • Updating the school’s SEND support register (a system for ensuring all the SEND needs of pupils in this school are known) and making sure that there are clear records of your child’s progress and needs.
  • Providing specialist support for teachers and support staff in the school so they can help children with SEND in the school achieve the best progress possible.


Responsible For:

  • The day to day management of all aspects of the school, this includes the support for children with SEND.
  • They will give responsibility to the SENCo and class teachers but are still responsible for ensuring that your child’s needs are met.
  • They must make sure that the Governing Body is kept up to date about any issues in the school relating to SEND.

Governor responsible for SEND 

Elizabeth Hayter is our Governor responsible for SEND

Responsible For:

  • Ensuring that staff members are following the School’s policy and the SEND Code of Practice.

 Merton Special Education Needs

To access Merton's Local offer, please click through to Merton's Website.


What are the different types of support given?

Class teacher input via excellent targeted classroom teaching (also known as Quality First Teaching). 

For your child this would mean:

  • That the teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class.
  • That all teaching is based on building on what your child already knows, can do and can understand.
  • Different ways of teaching are in place so that your child is fully involved in learning in class. This may involve things like using more practical learning.
  • Specific strategies (which may be suggested by the SENCo or outside professionals) are in place to support your child to learn.
  • Your child’s teacher will have carefully checked on your child’s progress and will have decided that your child has gaps in their understanding/learning and needs some extra support to help them make the best possible progress.
  • All children in school should be getting this as a part of excellent classroom practice when needed.

Stage of SEND Code of Practice: SEN Support 

For some children this will mean they have been identified by the class teacher and/or SENCo as needing some extra support in school.

For example this could mean:

  • He/ She may engage in group sessions (often called Focus Groups) with specific targets to help him/her to make more progress, a Teaching Assistant/Teacher may run these small group sessions.
  • Additional targeted support may also occur within the classroom or during break/lunchtime.
  • This type of support is available for any child who has specific gaps in their understanding of a subject/area of learning. Some children may also require additional support with communication and language, social and emotional needs or physical skills.

For some children they may, despite receiving the above intervention, also require:

  •  Outside professional involvement such as the Speech and Language therapy (SALT) Service or Education Psychology (EP).

For your child this could mean:

  • Your child will have been identified by the class teacher/SENCo (or you will have expressed concerns) as needing more specialist input in addition to quality first teaching and focus groups.
  • You will be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to an outside professional. This will help both home and the school understand your child’s needs and be able to support them further.
  • The outside professionals will work with your child to understand their needs and make recommendations, which may include:
  • Suggesting changes to the way your child is supported in class
  • Suggest targets which will include their professional expertise
  • A group run by school staff, under the guidance of the outside professional
  • Some group or individual work with the outside professional
  • The school may suggest that your child needs some specific individual support. They will inform you what support your child is receiving and the progress that happens in the termly SEN review meetings.

This type of support is available for children with specific barriers to learning that cannot be overcome through Quality First Teaching and focus groups.

Stage of SEND Code of Practice: SEN with an EHC Plan 

Since September 2014, Education, Health and Care Plans have been used to document the needs and provision for children who have been identified as needing a particularly high level of individual or small group support (usually more than 20 hours a week), which cannot be provided from the budget available to the school.

Usually your child will also need specialist support in school from a professional outside the school. This may be from:

  • Outside professional involvement such as the Speech and Language therapy (SALT) Service or Education Psychology (EP).

For your child this would mean:

  • The school (or you) can request that the Local Authority carry out a statutory assessment of your child’s needs. This is a legal process which sets out the amount of support that will be provided for your child.
  • After the school have sent in the request to the Local Authority (with a lot of information about your child, including some from you), they will decide whether they think your child’s needs (as described in the paperwork provided), seem complex enough to need a statutory assessment. If this is the case they will ask for updated assessments to be carried out on your child’s needs. If they do not think your child needs this, they will ask the school to continue with the support already provided.
  • After the assessments have been carried out, the Local Authority will decide if your child’s needs warrant additional funding in order to support them. If this is the case they will approve an EHC Plan. If this is not the case, they will explain why and ask the school to continue with the support in place.
  • The EHC Plan will outline the long term outcomes for your child and the specific support then will require to work towards achieving them.