2. What is the Impact of 'Read Write Inc.' at All Saints'?
Through the teaching of systematic phonics, we aim for all of our children to become fluent readers by the end of Key Stage 1. Our children feel confident in using their phonics knowledge and the strategies that they have been taught to read words. This helps them to access a range of material and, in turn, fosters a love of reading. By taking home books that are closely matched to their phonics knowledge, children can celebrate reading success with their parents and carers, which gives them the confidence and motivation to read regularly. Upon completion of the RWI phonics programme, children can make phonically plausible attempts at spelling words and therefore communicate their ideas in writing, across a range of subjects and for a range of purposes, both in and out of school.
We aspire for our children to:
- Read at an age-appropriate level with fluency, which enables them to access the broader curriculum.
- Develop a life-long love of reading where they read widely and often, with fluency and comprehension.
- Achieve well at EYFS, Key Stage 1 and Key Stage 2 assessment points.
- Have the required phonics skills to pass Year 1 phonic screening check on the first attempt.
Reading is the golden thread running through a child’s journey at All Saints'. Our consistent approach to the teaching of our systematic phonics curriculum enables children to become confident, fluent readers and increasingly accurate spellers, which in turn, unlocks doors to the rest of the curriculum, allowing children to flourish in all areas.